Sunday, December 9, 2007

le job, la vie, le vin (misspelled)

As the pace of activity increases, does the pace of innovation/learning/creativity decrease?

I just finished the design of a home page for a website, but it looks a whole lot like another website I designed once, except it has this other element pulled from a different website I designed, combined with another trick, and with maybe one trick I've never done before.

The first web site I made was really bad, but everything was new, so it was completely innovative, I learned a lot, and felt extremely creative. Now that I'm making web stuff more often, I repeat what I know - not quite so innovative, not quite so creative. Yet partly necessary to get things done in a timely manner.

My hope is that I also learn something new with each project I do. Try something new.

If I were to expand on this thought, what if each day was a time to, not only repeat and refine, but try something new?

I would like my professional activity to be a mini-experimentation ground in which to closely examine the stuff of life.

(I've been drinking wine tonight, by myself, sitting in my bed, listening to internet radio and working on this website. Maybe that's sad, but I don't care, I don't care at all, because I like wine, I'm well over the legal drinking age, and now I'm not nearly as anxious about having to buy everyone presents as I was an hour ago.)

No comments: